1. "Brethren and parents, hear what is in my soul."
2. And as they heard him speaking with them in Hebrew, they listened to him attentively,* and he said to them,
3. "I am a Jewish man, and I was born in Tarsos of Cilicia, I grew up in this town then at the feet of Gamaliel,* and was thoroughly disciplined in the Law of our ancestors, and I have been zealous for God just as you all are.
4. "And I pursued this path unto death, while I tied and delivered into prison men and women.
5. "Just as the chief high priest will testify about me, and all the priests, from whom I received the letter to go to the brethren in Damascus, so as those who were also there I should bring them to Jerusalem prisoners, to receive the reward for their heads.*
6. "And as I went and began reaching Damascus, in the middle of the day, suddenly* a great light shined on me,
7. "And I fell on the ground and heard a voice that told me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?'
8. "I replied and said, 'Who are you, my Lord?' And he told me, 'I am that same Jesus the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.'
9. "And the people that were with me saw the light, however they did not hear the voice of the One who spoke to me.
10. "And I said, 'What shall I do, my Lord?' And our Lord told me, 'Rise and go to Damascus, and there it will be spoken to you everything that you are to do.'
11. "And as I could no longer see because of the glory of that light, they took me by the hand, those who were with me, and I entered Damascus.
12. "And a man, Ananias, righteous in the Law, who was regarded* such by all the Jews there,
13. "Came to me and told me, 'Saul, my brother, open your eyes.' And in that very hour my eyes were opened and I gazed at him.
14. "And he told me, 'The Father of our ancestors has raised you,* to make His will known, and for you to see the Holy One and hear the voice from His mouth.
15. " 'And for Him to have witness among all humanity, regarding all that you see and hear.
16. " 'And now, why are you delaying? Arise and be baptized and be cleansed of your sins, while you call out His name.'
17. "And I got off and came here to Jerusalem, and I prayed in the temple.
18. "And I saw Him in a vision as He told me, 'Hurry up and get out of Jerusalem, because they will not accept your testimony regarding me.'
19. "And I said, 'My Lord, they also know that I delivered to prison and beat up in all our gatherings those who believed in You.
20. " 'And while the blood of your witness Stephen was being shed, I too stood with them and submitted to their will to kill him. And I guarded the cloaks of those who stoned him.'
21. "And he told me, 'Go,' that I am sending you to preach to the nations.*"
22. And as they had heard Paul up to this manifestation, they raised their voices and cried out, "Take away from the earth such a fellow!* For he does not deserve to live.*"
23. And as they cursed him [with their outstretched palms] and tore off their garments, they raised a stink to heaven.*
24. The commander ordered that they take him to the compound. And he ordered an investigation into his crimes, so as to know for what reason they were crying out against him.
25. And as they tied his hands and feet with his strap, Paul said to the centurion who stood over him, "Are you allowed to torture a Roman man who is not guilty of anything?"
26. And as the centurion heard this, he approached the commander and told him, "What are you doing? For this man here is Roman."
27. And the commander came near to him and said to him, "Tell me, are you Roman?" And he told him, "Yes."
28. And the commander replied and said to him, "I have earned my Roman citizenship with a great deal of money." Paul said to him, "I was born one, however."*
29. And at once those who wanted to torture him were suddenly divested of him, and the commander became wary as he thought of him now as being Roman.
30. And on the following day, he truly desired to know of what transgression the Jews were accusing him, and he released him and invited them to come, the chief high priests and all the crowd of leaders. And he brought Paul down and stood him between them.
Acts 23 || index page
*22:1 Lit. Ar. expression: "Listen to my soulís outburst."
*22:2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Increasingly they gave in."
*22:3 Lit. Ar. expression retained: "Was nurtured," or "educated."
*22:5 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "To receive [that which is] set on their heads."
*22:6 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "From under silence."
*22:12 Lit. Ar. expression: "Testified over."
*22:14 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech retained: "Appointed you."
*22:21 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech retained: "To all nations."
*22:22.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Such as he!"
*22:22.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Not for duly for him to live."
*22:23 Lit. Ar. expression: "Flung sand to heaven."
*22:28 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "I however also in it was born."