Revelation chapter 8
1. And as he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.
2. And I saw the seven angels who stood before Allaha, and they were given seven trumpets.
3. And another angel came and stood over the altar,
and he had a golden vessel* and he was given a great deal of incense,
so that he may offer it in the prayers of all the saints over the
golden altar before the throne.
4. There rose the perfume of incense of the saints' prayers from the hand of the angel before
5. And the angel set the vessel and filled it with
the fire from the altar and he hurled it on the earth and there
followed* thunder and lightening and explosions and earthquake.
6. And the seven angels, who had the seven trumpets, prepared* themselves so as to blow* [the trumpets.]
7. And the first one blew, and there followed hail
and fire that are carried* by water, and they were hurled upon the
earth, and one third of the earth was burned and one third of all
native vegetables were burned.
8. And the second angel blew, and like a great
mountain on fire burning was hurled into the sea, and also one third of
the sea turned* into blood.
9. And one third of all water creatures* died, those that had life*, and one third of the boats were wrecked.
10. And the third angel blew and a star fell from
the sky burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and
11. And the name of the star is called Absinthus*,
and a third of the waters turned to Absinthen* and much of mankind died
from the water because they became ill.
12. And the fourth angel blew, and a third of the
sun and a third of the moon was destroyed* and a third of the stars, so
that one third of them were shrouded in darkness, and one third of
their days would not [see] dawn, and their nights would likewise be
13. And I saw and heard an angel that flies in the
center of the sky, that carries a bloody trail,* as he said in a loud
voice, "Woe! Woe to those who dwell on earth, from the sounds of the
trumpets of the three angels who are prepared to blow."
8:3*Lit. Ar. id.: "Bell," or bell-like vessel.
8:4*Lit. Ar. id.: "Became."
8:6*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "[Made themselves] comfortable [to play.]"
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Blow or sound [a wind instrument.]"
8:7*Lit. Ar. id.: "Opened," or "conveyed ."
8:8*Lit. Ar. id.: "Became."
8:9*Lit. Ar. id.: "Creation."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Breath." Or: where living.
8:11*Aramaic name retained. "Wormwood" in English.
*Aramaic word retained. "Bitter."
8:12*Lit. Ar. id.: "Struck."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Would be likened to it."
8:13*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "That has a trail of blood."
Revelation chapter 9