Revelation chapter 6
1. And I saw as the Lamb opened one of the seven
seals, and I heard one of the four life forms saying in a voice like
thunder, "Come and see."
2. And I looked and there appeared a white filly,*
and the one riding on it has a bow, and a wreath was given him, and he
emerged* to conquer wherever he may conquer.
3. And as he* opened the second seal, I heard the second life form
4. And [there] emerged another filly [that was] red,
and to the one riding it was given the power* to [eradicate] peace from
the earth* and so that they would slaughter* each other, and he was
given great powers*.
5. And as he opened the third seal, I heard the
third life form, saying, "Come and see," and I saw and, behold, a horse
[that was] black, and its rider has a balance* in his hand.
6. And I heard a voice amidst the four life forms
saying, that, "A measure of wheat for* one dinar and three measures of
barley for one dinar and as for the oil and wine, do not touch them.*"
7. And as he opened the fourth seal, I heard the fourth life form say, "Come and see."
8. And I looked and, behold, a [pale] greenish
horse, and the one seated on it, his name is Death, and the netherworld
clings* to him. And he has been given authority over a quarter of the
earth, to kill by the sword and by famine and by death and by
carnivorous creatures of the earth.
9. And as he opened the fifth seal, I saw below the
altar* the souls that were slain* because of the Manifestation of Allaha and because they had the testimony of the Lamb.
10. And they cried out in a great voice as they said,
"Until when, O
O Holy, O True,
Will you not judge*
And seek our revenge*
From the inhabitants of the earth?"
11. And each and every one of them was given a white
robe, and were told to rest a while longer,* until the priesthood of
those other* brothers of theirs has been completed, those that are
destined to be killed just as they [had been.]
12. And I saw as he opened the sixth seal, and there
was a great earthquake and the sun was darkened* like the sackcloth of
mourning* and the moon [turned red] as blood.
13. And the stars of heaven fell into the earth, as
the fig [tree] that sheds its blossoms while shaken by a great wind*.
14. And the heaven separated like the written
scroll, and all the mountains and islands were moved from their places.
15. And the kings of the earth, the generals and
heads of thousands*, and the rich and powerful, and every servant and
son of the free, hid themselves in caves and declivities* of the
16. And they said to the mountains and the cliffs,
"Fall on us! And hide us from the personage of the one seated on the
throne and from the wrath of the Lamb,
17. "For the great day of their wrath has arrived and who can [remain] standing?"*
6:2*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And I saw and there [became] a [young female] horse white."
*Lit. Ar. idiom retained. "Exited."
6:3*The Lamb opens all the seals.
6:4*Lit. Ar. id.: "Ability."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Inhabitants of the earth."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Cut up."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Sword." Or: military power.
6:6*Lit. Ar. id.: "by."
*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Do not harm
[them,]" or "dare not [regard them similarly.] Or: they are not to be
measured or treated the same way [as the wheat and barley.]
6:8*Lit. Ar. id.: "Clutches for."
6:9*Lit. Ar. id.: "Sacrificial altar."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Cut up."
6:10*Lit. Ar. id.: "Bring judgment."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Blood."
6:11*Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "A small season."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Also."
6:12*Lit. Ar. id.: "Blackened."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "Hair."
6:13*Lit. Ar. id.: "Tormenting spirit."
6:15*Lit. Ar. id.: "Military commanders."
*Lit. Ar. id.: "By cliffs."
6:17*Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And who can to stand." Or: who can face it?
Revelation chapter 7