1. And avow your procreators in the days of your youth, whilst the days of evil have not come, and there shall draw near the years when you say that they are not according to my will,
2. Whilst the sun has not yet gone dark, nor* the light of the moon and the stars; and the clouds after the rains have not yet returned.
3. On the day that the guardians of the house are shaken, and those who possess the power are confused, and the wheat grinders are idle because of the diminished supply, and the gazers through the windows have grown dim.*
4. And when the doors in the marketplace* are shut down, the voices of the wheat grinders shall be limp, and the sound of the sparrows shall stand out, and all the girls who sing the praises shall be humbled.*
5. And also from on high he* shall be afraid and shaken on his paths, and a wake shall spring forth upon him, and there shall be much turmoil, and the locusts shall be scattered, and misfortune shall come to an end, because the human being shall go to the house of his toils, and the writhers shall circle the streets.
6. Until the silver cord is cut down, and the golden bowl is smashed, and the trap is broken over the spring, and the skein runs over the cistern.
7. And the dust returns to the earth as it was and the spirit returns to Maryah who gave her.
8. "Vanity of vanities," said Qohlat, "vanity of vanities, everything is vanity."
9. And moreover, as Qohlat was wise, he taught the people knowledge, and he listened, searched and weighed many proverbs.
10. Qohlat wanted very much to find the [true] expressions of the will, and he wrote earnestly the true doctrines [of Scriptures.]
11. The words of wisdom are like a pond, and like spikes fastened by the master of the threshold [and] given by [a single] shepherd.*
12. "And too many of them, take note," my son. "There is no end to the writing of scriptures, and too many words are [simply] to assuage the flesh.
13. The end of this oracle is, inasmuch as all should listen, to fear Maryah and guard His commandments, because they are given by one Creator to every human being.
14. Because all servants* shall be entered into judgment, regarding everything that is hidden and [everything] that is revealed, whether blessed and whether evil.
Translated by Victor Alexander ©2013
*12:2 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*12:3 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Have gone dark," or "have lost hope."
*12:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Streets."
*12:4.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "And softened all the girls of glorification."
*12:5 NB! Speaking about youth. Reference verse one of this chapter.
*12:11 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Framework settings." The area designated by the shepherd for the flock.
*12:14 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Workers."
Translation of Qohlat was completed Apr. 4, 2013
Last chapter posted July 15, 2013
Qohlat Index | Bible Index