1. Send your bread over the face* of the waters, because you shall find it [later] as the days abound.
2. Be thankful for the seventh day,* because there is no telling what evil shall occur on earth.*
3. If the clouds are full of rain, they shall pour upon the earth, and if a tree falls in the south or the north, were it falls, there it shall be.
4. He who observes the spirit,* does not plant, and whoever gazes at the clouds, does not harvest.
5. Because the human being does not know the way of the spirit,* like the woman who has had intercourse becomes pregnant, likewise the works of Maryah are not known in whatever He does.
6. Every morning plant your seed, and in the evening do not spare your hands, because you do not know which [work] will succeed best, this or that, or if both are just as well.
7. The light is sweet and good for the eyes, and more so for those who see the sun.
8. Because if the human being lives many years -- they are glad [to have lived] all of them, and the days are many; whatever comes is vanity.
9. In the days of your youth, be glad, O young one, and may it please you, and walk in the ways of your heart and by the sight of your eyes, but* know that through all these Maryah shall enter you through judgment.
10. Let anger pass from your heart and let evil cease from your flesh, because childhood and lack of knowledge are vanity.
Translated by Victor Alexander ©2013
*11:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Faces."
*11:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "The Sabbath."
*11:2.2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Befalls the earth."
*11:4 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Wind."
*11:5 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Wind."
*11:9 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
Posted July 10, 2013
Qohlat Index | Index