1. Wisdom built a house and she* raised within him* seven pillars.
2. She trimmed her cuts* and blended her wines, and graced* her tables.
3. And she sent her servants to cry out from the hilltops* and to say:
4. "Who will have the temerity* to come to me and [admit] that he is lacking in counsel, so as* I may say to him,
5. "'Come, eat of my bread and drink of the wine that I have blended.
6. "'And leave off, those of you deficient in counsel,* and live; and consider [taking] the wholesome path.'"
7. Discipline* to an evil [person] is an insult,* and she rebukes the abominable regarding his flaw.
8. Do not rebuke the evil person lest he may hate you, except rebuke the wise people so as they may have compassion for you.
9. Give space to the wise person and they shall again grow wiser, and inform the righteous, and they shall increase their knowledge.
10. At the head of wisdom is the submission to Maryah, and the knowledge of the righteous is learning.
11. Because through her* your days shall increase and the years of your life shall proliferate.
12. My son, if you are wise, you are wise for yourself and your kin, and if you are evil your evil shall reflect on you alone.
13. He who is in denial through falsehood feeds on the spirits,* and pursues the path of the birds of the sky; he leaves the road of his vineyard and searches for the paths of his labor and treads the course without water and proceeds while thirsty -- he too gathers nothing.
14. A woman* lacking in counsel is seductive, and knows no shame; she sits at the door of her house on a high chair.
15. And she calls out to the passersby who are on their sound paths,
16. And she says, "Whoever is gullible* come to me, and to the lacking in counsel." And she says to him,
17. "Stolen waters are sweet and the hidden bread is delicious."
18. And he knows not that the mighty men perish with her and in the depths of Sheol [there end up] all those who are invited by her.
19.* Except bolt out of that country [without] delay, and do not let your eyes peruse her, for thus you shall pass across foreign foreign waters; and do not drink of the foreign waters, because many days and years of life shall be increased for you.
*9:1.1 NB! "Wisdom" is feminine in gender.
*9:1.2 NB! "House" is masculine in gender.
*9:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Slaughter the slaughtered." Reference is to the preparation of meat.
*9:2.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Laid out."
*9:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Hills."
*9:4.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "To act as a child."
*9:4.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "And."
*9:6 Lit. Ar. id.: "From of the deficiency of counsel."
*9:7.1 NB! Feminine gender.
*9:7.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Gives him revilement."
*9:11 NB! Reference is to "wisdom" and "learning" in previous verse, both of which are feminine in gender.
*9:14 NB! Reference is to "wisdom", which is grammatically feminine in gender.
*9:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Simple."
*9:19 NB! This verse has been deleted from all the Western Bibles. It is obviously an admonition regarding the following of foreign religions.
Aramaic Bible Index | Proverbs Index