1. Listen, O children, to the experience of the father, and heed the knowledge and the schooling.
2. Because I give you the good knowledge, do not abandon my law.
3. For I was a son to my father, and [one of a kind,*] an only child before my mother.
4. And he taught me and said, "Contemplate my Manifestation* in your heart, guard my commandments and Live, and [let] my Law be like the pupil of the eye.
5. Gain wisdom and gain learning, and forsake not the words of my mouth.
6. Do not abandon the Manifestation that shall protect you; love her so she will redeem you.
7. On top of wisdom gain wisdom, and through all your resources attain learning.
8. Love her* so as she may hold you in high esteem, and embrace her so as you may be honored.
9. And she will consecrate on your head the unblemished empathy, and she shall satisfy you with the wreath of glory.
10. Listen, my son, and accept my words, and the years of your life shall increase.
11. I shall teach you the ways of wisdom, and make you walk by wholesome paths.
12. And when you walk, your gait shall not falter, and if you run, you shall not stumble.
13. Grasp firmly on to my knowledge and do not let go; guard it, for that is what life is about.*
14. Do not follow the path of sinners, and do not envy the way of the wicked.
15. And do not enter into the country* where they dwell, except turn off and pass away from it.
16. For they do not sleep until they have performed evil, and that sleepiness even turns into insomnia unless they have imposed their own will.
17. Because they eat the food of abomination and drink the wine of fraudulence.
18. The way of the righteous is then like the sunlight that shines [in the morning,] and her light shines forth until the day is spent.
19. The way of the criminals, however, is the darkness, and they know not by what they stumble.
20. My son, listen to my words, and extend your ear toward what I say.
21. Do not let them get out of your sight, except guard them inside your heart.
22. Because they are Life* to whoever finds them, and his or her flesh shall all be healed.
23. With every enlightenment guard your heart, because it is from him that the Life* emerges.
24. Do away from you the impertinent mouth, and put off from your lips the recommendation of fraudulence.
25. Let your eyes gaze objectively, and your eyelids take in what is in front of you.*
26. Let your feet pass from evil paths, and all your ways shall be well established.
27. And do not deviate to the right and the left, except let your foot avoid evil.*
*4:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Special."
*4:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Milti," or "My Milta."
*4:8 NB! Reference is to wisdom and learning.
*4:13 Lit. Ar. id.: "That is what she is your life."
*4:15 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Land."
*4:22 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lives," or "Everlasting life."
*4:23 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lives," or "Everlasting life."
*4:25 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Your eyes with wholesomeness they look, and your eyelids make do in front of you."
*4:27 Lit. Ar. id.: "Pass from evil."
Proverbs 5 | Aramaic Bible Index