1. My son, do not lose my faith,* and let your heart guard my commandments.
2. Because the proliferation of days and years of life shall enrich you.
3. And peace, goodness and rectitude shall not abandon you, except do tie them into your bosom* and write them over the tablets of your heart.
4. So you may find mercy, goodness and learning before Allaha and before humanity.*
5. Depend on Maryah with all your heart, and on the wisdom of your own soul do not rely.
6. Come to know him in all your ways and he shall fix all your paths.
7. do not become wise in your own eyes, except be in submission to Maryah and fall away from evil.
8. So as it shall become the healing for your flesh and the marrow for your bones.
9. Honor Maryah for all your gains, and ahead of all your triumphs.
10. So as your storehouses are filled to their brim, and your wine presses are flowing with wine.
11. My son, do not denigrate Maryah's discipline,* nor ignore her rebukes;
12. Because whoever Maryah has mercy for, he approves of, like the father who approves his son.
13. Blessed is the human being who finds wisdom, and the son of the flesh who finds learning.
14. Because her* pursuit is better than the commerce with silver, and her product is better than refined gold.
15. For she is worth more than precious stones, and nothing can match her.
16. The proliferation* of days in her right [hand,] [the increasing] richness and honor in her left [hand.]
17. Her ways are the ways of pleasantness and all her paths are peace.
18. She is the Tree of Life to those who grasp at her, and blessed are they that hold on to her.
19. Maryah in his wisdom consecrated the foundations of the earth, and he established the heavens with his knowledge.
20. And through her knowledge the unknown was penetrated, and the clouds dropped their shadows.
21. My son, do not look down in your eyes on protecting my teachings and my advice.
22. And they shall be the everlasting life* for your soul, and a comforting chain around your neck.*
23. And then you shall walk in your paths with hope and your foot shall not hesitate.
24. And you shall sleep and not be afraid, and you shall lie down and your sleep shall be sweet.
25. And you shall not be afraid of the turmoil out of the calm, nor the torment* of the sinners when it comes.
26. Because Maryah shall be with you, and He will guard your foot so you will not be trapped.
27. Do not stop from doing that which is beautiful, to the extent that is in your hands to do so.
28. And when you have it, do not say to your friend, "Go, and come again later, and I shall give it to you."
29. Do not contemplate evil against your friend who sits with you during the calm.*
30. Do not judge a human being falsely.
31. Do not be made jealous by the unjust man, and do not be satisfied with his ways.
32. Because that abomination is defilement before Maryah, and the discourse of Maryah is with the upright.
33. The cursing against* Maryah is in the house of the abominable, but* in the dwellings of the righteous there are blessings,
34. He casts off the ridiculers and He hovers over the wise.
35. The wise inherit honor, and the fools receive disgrace.
*3:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "law," or "religion."
*3:3 Lit. Ar. id.: "Neck."
*3:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Children of humans."
*3:14 NB! Reference is to "wisdom", which is feminine in gender.
*3:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lengthening."
*3:22.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Lives."
*3:22.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "A cherishing [necklace] on your neck."
*3:25 Lit. Ar. id.: "Drenching."
*3:29 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "At peace."
*3:33.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Of."
*3:33.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "But."
Proverbs 4 | Aramaic Bible Index