Testament of Matthew
1. However, in those days, there came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judah,
2. And he said, "Repent! The kingdom of heaven is approaching!"
3. For this is what prophet Isaiah had spoken of when he said,
"The voice that calls in the wilderness,
' Prepare the path of the Lord,
and lay out his avenues.' "
4. John, however, had camel's hair clothing and he tied a leather belt on his back and his food was locusts and honey of the wilderness.
5. Then, there came out to him [the people of] Jerusalem and all of Judea, and all the country surrounding the river Jordan,
6. And they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, as they confessed their sins.
7. However, as he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to be baptized, he said to them, "You brood of vipers! Who showed you to run from the wrath that is coming?
8. "Produce such fruits that you may be worthy of grace.
9. "And do not expect and say to yourselves that, 'We have a father Abraham.' For I am telling you, God can produce from these stones children for Abraham.
10. "Behold, even now the ax lies against the root of the trees. Any tree therefore that does not produce good fruit, will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
11. "I am baptizing you with waters of grace, however, the one who is coming after me is mightier than me, whose shoes I am not worthy of removing.* He will baptize you by the holy Spirit and fire.
12. "He [who holds] the winnowing fan, in his hand and sifts his grain, and the wheat he gathers in his barns and the chaff he lets burn in the unquenchable fire."
13. Then Eashoa went from Galilee to Jordan to be baptized by John.
14. However, John stopped him and said, "I need to be baptized by you, and you come to me?"
15. Eashoa however replied and told him, "Let it be, for this is decreed for us, for all righteousness to be fulfilled." And he allowed it.
16. Then as Eashoa was baptized, at once he rose out of the water, and the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and settled upon him.
17. And, behold, the voice from heaven that said, "This is my beloved Son, by whom I am fulfilled!"
*3:11 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression retained: "I am not worthy to be his servant."
Go to Matthew 4
Return to index page