1. "At that time the Kingdom of Heaven resembles the ten maidens* who set up their lamps and went out to meet the bride and the bridegroom.
2. "Five of them however were wise and five of them were foolish.
3. "And the foolish ones took their lamps but did not take oil with them.
4. "The wise ones however placed oil in the vessels with their lamps.
5. "Then as the bridegroom was late, all of them dozed off and slept.
6. "And in the middle of the night there was a cry, 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming, go out to meet him!'
7. "Then all the maidens rose up and lit their lamps.
8. "The foolish ones however said to the wise ones, 'Give us from your oil, that, behold, our lamps are going out!'
9. "There responded the wise ones and said, 'Perhaps it may not be sufficient for us and others, except go to those who buy and sell to others.'
10. "And as they went to buy, there came the bridegroom, and the ones that were fortunate* entered to the wedding feast, and the door was locked.
11. "Then later the other maidens also came and said, 'Our Lord, our Lord, open up for us!'
12. "He then replied and said to them, 'Amen I am telling you that I do not know you.'
13. "Be thus watchful, since you do not know that day and not the hour.
14. "Like a man, before travelling, calls his servants and entrusts them with his assets.
15. "Someone he gives five talents, and someone two and someone one, each person according to that person's ability, and he leaves immediately.
16. "Then the one who got five talents, went and did business with them and earned five more.
17. "And likewise also the one with two, he earned two more.
18. "The one who got one, went and dug in the ground and hid his master's coin.
19. "After a long time,* the master of those servants came back and asked for an accounting.
20. "And the one who got five talents came forth and presented five other ones and said, 'My lord, you gave me five talents, behold, I have earned five more on top of them.'
21. "His master told him, 'O, good and faithful servant, you were faithful with little, you shall be granted much.* Enter your master's feast.*'
22. "And the second one presented his two talents and said, 'My lord, you gave me two talents, behold, I have earned two more on top of them.'
23. "His master told him, 'O, good and faithful servant, you were faithful with little, you shall be granted much. Enter your master's feast.'
24. "Then the one who got one talent approached also, and said, 'My lord, I knew you were a hard* man, and you harvest that which you did not sow,* and gather that which you did not scatter.*
25. " 'And I was afraid and went and hid your talent in the ground. Behold, you got what is yours.'
26. "His master replied and told him, 'You wicked and irresponsible servant, you knew me, that I harvested what I did not sow and gathered what I did not scatter.
27. " 'It was your duty to throw my coin into the Offering and I would have come back and asked for what was mine together with its bounty.*
28. " 'Take thus the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten talents.
29. " 'For to the one who has it, more shall be given, and to the one who has it not, even what he has will be taken away from him.'
30. "And the idle servant was cast out into the dark desert, where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth.
31. "But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all his holy angels with him, then he shall sit on the throne of his glory.
32. "And there will gather before him all the nations, and he will choose them one by one, like the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
33. "And he sets the sheep from his right and the goats from his left.
34. "That is when the King says to those from his right, 'Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom that was destined for you from the foundations of the universe.
35. " 'For I was hungry and you gave me to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me to drink. I was an outcast and you took me in.
36. " 'I was naked and you clothed me. I was ill and you visited me. I was in prison and you came to me. '
37. "Then the saintly will say to him, 'Our Lord, when did we see you hungry and we fed you, or you were thirsty and we gave you drink?
38. " 'And when did we see you an outcast and we took you in, or when were you naked and we clothed you?
39. " 'And when did we see you ill or in prison and we came to you?'
40. "And the King replied and told them, 'Amen, I am telling you, that whatever you do for one of these my little brethren, for me you have done that.'
41. "Then he will say also to those on his left, 'Go away from me you accursed to eternal fire, that is set for the Devil and his angels.
42. " 'For I was hungry and you did not give me to eat. I was thirsty and you did not give me to drink.
43. " 'I was an outcast and you did not take me in. And I was naked and you did not cloth me. And I was ill and in prison and you did not visit me.'
44. "Then they too shall reply and say, 'Our Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or an outcast or naked or ill or in prison, and we did not serve you?'
45. "Then he will reply and say to them, 'Amen, I am telling you, that whatever you did not do for one of these little ones, neither did you do it for me.'
46. "And they will go these to eternal* torment and the saintly to eternal life."
*25:1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Virgins."
*25:10 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "[Under] grace."
*25:19 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "After a great season."
*25:21.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Raised over much."
*25:21.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Enter in your master's joy."
*25:24.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic figure of speech: "Thick [in consistency.]"
*25:24.2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "From where you did not sow."
*25:24.3 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "From where you did not scatter."
*25:27 Lit. Ar. id.: "Growth," or "interest."
*25:46 Lit. Ar. id.: "To the universe."
Go to Matthew 26
Return to index page