1. The books of the birth of Eashoa the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
2. To Abraham was born Isaac, to Isaac Jacob, to Jacob Judah and his brothers;
3. To Judah Perez and Serah by Tamar, to Perez Hezron, to Hezron Aram,
4. To Aram Aminabad, to Aminabad Nahshon, to Nahshon Salmon,
5. To Salmon Boaz by Rahab, to Boaz Ovid by Ruth, to Ovid Jesse;
6. To Jesse David, the King, to David Solomon, by his wife of Uriah,
7. To Solomon Rehoboam, to Rehoboam Avija, to Avija Asa;
8. To Asa Jehoshaphat, to Jehoshaphat Joram, to Joram Uzziah;
9. To Uzziah Jotham, to Jotham Ahoz, to Ahoz Hezekiah;
10. To Hezekiah Manasheh, to Manasheh Amon, to Amon Josiah,
11. To Josiah Jechoniah and his brothers, at the time of the Babylonian exile.
12. And after the Babylonian exile,* to Jechoniah Shealtiel, to Shealtiel Zerubbabel;
13. To Zerubbabel Avihud, to Avihud Aliakim to Aliakim Azor;
14. To Azor Zadok, to Zadok Achim, to Achim Eliud;
15. To Eliud Eleazar, to Eleazar Mathan, to Mathan Jacob;
16. To Jacob Joseph, husband of Mary, the Mary to whom was born Eashoa*, who is called the Anointed One.*
17. Thus accordingly all the generations from Abraham to David [were] fourteen generations, and from David to the Babylonian exile [were] fourteen generations, and from the exile to [Eashoa] the Messiah [were also] fourteen generations.
18. However, the birth of Eashoa happened like this: as Mary his mother was engaged to Joseph, while they were not married, she was found to be with child through the holy Spirit.
19. Joseph, however, was a righteous man and did not wish to expose it. And he planned to secretly divorce her.
20. As he was thinking of this, the angel of the Maryah appeared to him in his dream, and told him, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear taking Mary as your wife, because He that is born to her is of the holy Spirit.
21. "She will give birth then to a son, and his name will be called Eashoa, for he will bring his people back to Life from their sins.
22. "All this took place then so that everything the Maryah had said through the prophet may be fulfilled, that,
23. " 'Behold, the virgin will conceive
and give birth to the Son,
And they will call his name Emanuel,
which means Allaha Is With Us.' "
24. As Joseph rose from his sleep, he did as the angel of the Maryah commanded him, and he took her as his bride.
25. And he did not have intercourse with her until she gave birth to the male son.* And she called him Eashoa.
*1:12 NB! Again fourteen generations, counting Joseph's generation and Eashoa's generation (which is the generation of the disciples as well.)
*1:16.1 Literal Aramaic name: "Eashoa'." Eashoa in English.
*1:16.2 Literal Aramaic title: "M'sheekhah," "Messiah" [common spelling in English,] or "the Messiah."
*1:25 Lit. Ar. id.: "Heir."
Go to Matthew 2 ||
Return to index page
Updated: Nov. 14, 2002 & May 30, 2013