1. The oracle of Maryah that was on Yoeil son of Betueil.
2. Hear this, Elders,* and listen up all you inhabitants of the earth: did such a thing ever happen in your day or in the day of your parents?!
3. Therefore, tell it to your children, and your children to their children, and their children to the next generation.
4. So that what was ignored [on the field,] was eaten by the locust,* and what was left by the locust was eaten by the grasshopper, and what was left by the grasshopper was eaten by the caterpillar.
5. Wake up you drunkards and weep, and wail all you drinkers of wine, on account of the wine that passed from your lips.*
6. Because a nation has ascended upon my land -- powerful and without number -- his teeth are like the teeth of the lion and his fangs are like the fangs of a lion's cub.
7. He made my vineyard into a wasteland, and my fig tree into a useless log -- he cut it down and cast her away, and her branches turned white.*
8. Wail like the virgin girded with sackcloth over the lord of her youth.
9. The [bread of offering] and the libation have passed from the House of Maryah, the kings have sat weeping, and the high priests that serve Maryah.
10. The field has been despoiled, and the earth is in mourning, because the staples are in ruins, and the wine has gone bad, and the olives are ruined.
11. The farmers [felt] ashamed, and the fields* [felt ashamed] regarding the wheat and the barley, for the harvest of the fields had passed.
12. The vines became dry, and the figs were ruined -- and the pomegranates, the dates, and the apples, all the trees of the field became dry, because all joy had abandoned mankind.
13. High priests girded themselves with sackcloth, and they writhed and wailed -- the ministers of the altar. Enter and abide in sackcloth, O you ministers of my Allaha, because the [bread of the offering] and the libation have been withheld from the house of your Allaha.
14. Bless the fasting, call upon an assembly, gather up the priests and all the inhabitants of the land -- to the House of Maryah your Allaha. And cry out to Maryah, your Allaha, and say,
15. "Oh, oh, the day that is approaching, that which is the Day of Maryah -- and captivity comes from Allaha."
16. And, behold, in front of our [own] eyes, food has passed from the House of Allaha -- [together] with happiness and joy.
17. And the seedlings have shriveled over their fouled sod, the storehouses are ruined and the winepresses are broken, and the fodder has dried up.
18. Wherefore, do the flocks grieve and the herds of cattle groan that they have no shepherd? Even the most precious herds of sheep have been left for wolves to eat.*
19. I call onto you, Maryah, because the fires have consumed the dwellings of the wilderness, and the flames have burned all the trees of the field.
20. Even the creatures call onto you, because the streams of water have dried up, and the fires have consumed the dwellings of the wilderness.
*1:2 Lit. Ar. id.: Or: "Priests."
*1:4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Flying grasshopper."
*1:5 Lit. Ar. id.: "Mouth."
*1:7 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "He made my vine into waste and my fig for cutting and he cast her and [there] whitened her branches."
*1:18 Lit. Ar. idiomatic construction: "Even the circumcised flocks (sheep) have been betrayed." Prophecy regarding a nation whose leaders have abandoned them to their enemies -- prophecy fulfilled when the Scribes and Pharisees and High Priests of Jerusalem betrayed Eashoa Msheekha.
Joel Index | Aramaic Bible Index | Old Testament Index | Order Books