1. Listen to the oracle of Maryah, O Children of Israel, because the obligation to Maryah is with the inhabitants of the earth, as there is no justice or grace, nor the knowledge of Allaha on earth.
2. Cursing and lying, killing and stealing, and marrying increasingly, and they mixed blood with blood.*
3. Because of that the earth sat in wailing, and all its inhabitants wailed, and the creatures of the wilderness and the birds of the sky were all gone.
4. Because no person judges nor rebukes, and your people shall tarry like the priest.*
5. And you shall stumble in the daytime, and the prophet of your nation shall also stumble with you at night, and your mother shall keep quiet.
6. My people are silent because they have no knowledge in them, for you have denigrated knowledge, and I shall lower you from the priesthood, and you have lost the law of your Allaha; I will also lose your children.
7. They sin according to their wealth, and they exchange their honor for contemptuous cynicism.*
8. They consumed the sin of my people,* and they threw themselves into abomination.*
9. And the high priest became like the people, and instructed them in their ways, and he repaid them according to their works.
10. And they ate but could not be satisfied, and they fornicated by they did not grow [in number,] because they abandoned Maryah.
11. And they loved fornication and wine, and drunkenness satisfied their hearts.
12. My nation asked according to her own opinion, and her staff showed her [the way,] because the spirit of fornication misled them [completely,] and they turned away from their Allaha.
13. Upon mountaintops they offered sacrifices, and upon hills they consecrated the incense, under the oak tree as it brightens with acorns, whose shadows are beautiful, on account of your daughters-in-law get married* [to other men.]
14. I do not make your daughters discriminating as they fornicate, nor your daughter-in-laws as they marry [adulterously,] because it is with adulterers that they mix, and they are those that offer themselves outside in the streets -- a nation that has no discernment embraces the adulteress.*
15. You, however, Israel, do not obligate Judah, and do not go to Gilgalla, nor to Bet Anun, and do not say, "By the Living Maryah."*
16. Because like the cow that resists the yolk, thus the Children of Israel shall refuse [to serve,] and thus when Maryah shepherds them, they shall be like rams in an open range.
17. Aprim associates himself with idols; let him be.
18. They all fornicated and loved obscenities and the thrill [of depravity.]
19. The spirit has rent their wings, and they shall be ashamed of their sacrifices.*
*4:2 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Intermarriage with the uncircumcised or other non-believers."
*4:4 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Slow to act."
*4:7 Lit. Ar. id.: "Belittling [others.]"
*4:8.1 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Took credit for owning up to it."
*4:8.2 NB! So they could wallow in debauchery.
*4:13 NB! "Married" here is used euphemistically to imply "are fornicating."
*4:14 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "Harlot."
*4:15 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Living He Maryah."
*4:19 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "What they offer on the altars."
Hosea Index | Aramaic Bible Index | AAC | Order Books