1. Call your brothers "My-people,"* and your sisters "My-kinswomen."*
2. Judge with your mother,* judge, because she is not a wife to me and I am not a husband to her; her adultery shall pass from her face,* and her marriages* from between her breasts.*
3. That they may not strip her naked and leave her like the day she was born, and make her like the wilderness and the parched land, dying of thirst.
4. And I shall not have mercy upon them, because they are the children of adultery.
5. Because their mother committed adultery and disgraced their birth, and she said to me, "I shall go after my kinfolk; they give me my bread and my water, my fine linen and cotton, and my oil and whatever I want."
6. Because of that, behold, I shall fence up her ways with thorns, and shore up her paths, so as she will not find her way.
7. And she will go to her kinsmen, but shall not encounter them; and she will want them, but will not find them; and she will say, "I shall go back to my first husband, because he was better for me then than it is now."
8. But she did not know it, that it was I who gave her the staples and wine, and the oil, and the silver and gold, of which I provided her with much, and it was out of [what was] hers that they made a possession.
9. That is why I shall return and provide my staples in their season, and the wine in its season; and I shall provide my wool and my cotton, while I gave her to cover her nakedness.
10. Hence I shall bare her nakedness before her kinsmen, and no man shall save her from my hands.
11. And I shall cancel all her joy, her feasts and the first of the months, her Sabbath and all her holidays.
12. And I shall destroy all her vines and figs, of which she said, "Those are the presents that my kinsmen gave me;" and I shall make them into shrubs, to be eaten by the creatures of the wilderness.
13. And I shall impose on her the 'days of Ba'alah,'* in which she consecrated in them the incense, and she would take up her rings and pearls and go after her kinsmen, and to me she forgot, said Maryah.
14. Because, behold, I shall entice her and take her into the wilderness, and speak to her heart.*
15. And I shall give her vineyards from there, and the depth of hindrance, so as her understanding may be opened, and that she may be humbled there, as in her childhood days, and like the day she came up from the land of Missrin.*
16. "And it will be on that day," said Maryah, "You shall call me 'my husband,' and never again shall you call me 'Ba'alee.'*
17. And the name of 'Ba'alah'* disappeared* from her mouth and they did not remember again his name.
18. And I shall [make] a covenant with them on that day, [together] with the creatures of the wilderness, the birds of the sky, and the creepers of the earth, and [as for] the sling, the sword, and wars, I shall retire them from the land, and I shall settle them in hope.
19. And they shall be circumcised* to me forever* and they shall encircle* me through righteousness, justice,* grace, and mercy.
20. And you shall be circumcised to me through faith, and you shall know Maryah.
21. "And it shall be on that day," said Maryah, "I shall reply to heaven, and they shall reply to earth."
22. And the earth shall reply with* the staples, and the wine and the oil, and they shall reply to Izraeil.*
23. And they shall plant her for me [as the seed] in the earth, and I shall be merciful to 'the-one-I-did-not-have-mercy-for,'* and I shall call upon 'the-one-who-is-not-my-people,'* and he shall call me Allahi.*
*2:1.1 Lit. Aramaic: "Am-mi."
*2:1.2 Lit. Aramaic: "R'khi-mtah."
*2:2.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Bring her into judgment."
*2:2.2 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "She doesn't let her adultery phase her."
*2:2.3 NB!: "Cynical."
*2:2.4 Lit. Ar. idiom retained: "She is upfront about her adulterous relationships."
*2:13 Lit. Aramaic retained: Reference to 'days of celebration [under feudalism.]'
*2:14 Lit. Ar. idiomatic expression: "Wind her over."
*2:15 Lit. Aramaic: "Egypt" or "Enslavement."
*2:16 Lit. Ar. id.: "My owner," or "my lord."
*2:17.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Owner," or 'lord.' NB! Worship of Ba'al -- Land ownership, Feudalism, Capitalism.
*2:17.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Passed."
*2:19.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "Be like a scroll around me."
*2:19.2 Lit. Aramaic: "L'allam," or "To the end of the universe."
*2:19.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "enshroud."
*2:19.4 Lit. Ar. id.: "Religiously."
*2:22.1 Lit. Ar. id.: "To."
*2:22.2 Lit. Ar. id.: "Eil plants the seed."
*2:23.1 Lit. Aramaic: "La-it-rakh-mit."
*2:23.2 Lit. Aramaic: "La-ammi."
*2:23.3 Lit. Ar. id.: "My Allaha," or "my God."
Hosea Index | Aramaic Bible Index | Order Books